The water is nutrient important in the feeding animal, since it has a direct incidence in the biological cycles and is determining to maintain suitable physiological constants.
It serves as vehicle as nutrients and it plays an important role in the regulation of the corporal temperature. On the other hand, it is not necessary to forget that it can be an important vector of transmission of pathogenic microorganisms, reason why its control in the operation is fundamental.
Although specific legislation for the drink water does not exist, in the norms that affect the cattle production becomes mention to obligatory requirements that it must fulfill:
- The operation must have a system of clean water supply. Concretely, the values of the microorganisms must be within the established legal limits in [[el]] Real Decree 140/2003, of 7 of February, by that the sanitary criteria of the quality of the water for human consumption settle down.
- The equipment for the water provision must be located so that the risk of contamination of the water is reduced to the minimum.
- All the animals must have a easy and direct access to the water.
In order to fulfill the requirements mentioned, he is advisable to follow following practices of hygiene:
- To clean the drinking troughs with regularity and to maintain them in good conditions of hygiene.
- To avoid that the water is mixed with the deyecciones of the animals.
- If accumulating water deposits are had, to take care of their maintenance and to clean them like minimum once a year. In addition, they will have to be covered permanently.
- If the water does not come from the public network, to make periodically analytical of water and to verify that the drink water is not contaminated.